No matter what kind of writer you want to become, there are ways for you to be most successful and reach your goals quicker.
Life gets in the way for many writers. There is always more to be done than write. Yet, we have to commit to our daily writing in order to complete our goals in a timely fashion.
Here are a few ways to become a successful writer.
- Write every day, even if it’s for a few minutes. This will give you momentum and the self-confidence to wake up tomorrow and write as well.
- Believe in yourself and your goals. Many of us don’t believe in ourselves. Take the time to practise positive self-talk.
- Break down large goals into smaller, doable components. This will help you build self-confidence and resilience. The more often you complete your goals, the better you’ll feel about yourself.
- Surround yourself with positive people. If you’re in the midst of an overly critical group of writers in a critique group, perhaps it’s time to find yourself a more positive group. Negative attitudes can really stomp productivity.
- Learn as much as you can about the writing craft and your particular genre of writing. We never know everything we need to be the best writer.
- Read widely. This will help you gain a lot of new knowledge. And who knows, you may even get a few ideas for new writing.
- Make the most of your strengths as a writer. If you’re disciplined, celebrate getting your writing done. If you’re a hard worker, celebrate your work ethic.
- Celebrate every small win along the way. Many writers only celebrate when they have achieved a BIG goal. However, there are so many small triumphs. Make sure you acknowledge each of them by starting a writing journal where you write about your progress every day.
- Have a gratitude practice. Always take stock of all the good things that are in your writing life. Even having the chance to write a bit is something we should rejoice in. Many writers have to work outside the home, take kids to practices and rehearsals and much more, leaving little time to write.
- Try to write outside of your comfort zone. This will help you stretch your writing life and make it less predictable. You won’t be as likely to be bored and you may even discover a new genre of writing you really enjoy.
By taking these steps, you will be successful and feeling at the top of your game as a writer. There is no better feeling. And it is doable and realistic to expect to be the best you can be by following the steps above.